Sunday, February 12, 2012

Blog #'s 8 & 9 in a day of my life. "when the Lion roars and slips away quietly into the night."



    It was '72 I believe. For that was the summer in June of THE FLOOD. I remember seeing him that year as I was on second shift and he was just starting in the Celler Gang. He had a full beard and it was trimmed. But as it was in those days, the little wire-rimmed glasses that identified him for the rest of the years I knew him. Forty years is a long time! You see, we were almost the same age. I think I had him by a couple- we were both products of THE HIPPIE ERA!

     "IN THE JUNGLE............"

     It was '76. We were in the middle of a very cold winter & in the middle of a very difficult , sometimes brutal STRIKE. 13 1/2 weeks to be exact. Started end of Jan. and went forth into spring. We were sitting on the East side of the plant. There were three of us huddled around a 55 gallon drum with a fire in it trying to keep warm. It was the graveyard picket line. Two or Three in the morning. I do not remember who the third person was, but it was Tom. Tom & Tom. He told me about his childhood. Being FAT as he called it. The whole time I knew him he was slim. He said they picked on him. That in my mind today is BULLYING.

     "THE QUIET JUNGLE..........."

     1987 or thereabouts, I was working off site in the ware house down in Olean. He came in. Again just the two of us. He had been promoted several times. He was manufacturing Supernatant. We were discussing a union issue. I was president. He was always funny. It was always a civil talk. He still wore those wire rimmed glasses. The beard was gone, they made him take it off in order to get promoted! To me it was the beard that made him stand out. Now it was the little wire rimmed glasses!

     "THE LION SLEEPS TONIGHT............"

     1994.  We were discussing some issues. He, still Manufacturing/HR and me process facilitator. I had been promoted 4 or 5 years ago. Being of almost the same age, we had a lot in common. He never lost it as I would occasionally. He always would calm me down and we would talk. Man to Man as we had all those years as we sat in the cold, huddled, trying to remain warm. That is why he was so respected. He wasn't like the others. I remember one time he called me up to his office. I had Body Prep and you had to do a monthly inventory on the stain. He wasn't mad. In fact he laughed and said, "Your ------------stain color must of had Puppies because you have more this month then last and we didn't order any in!" It was his way of telling me I had made a mistake and go take care of it!

     "IN THE JUNGLE, THE QUIET JUNGLE............." 

     1999, the year I transferred to NVA. It was just before we left. He and I were on our way to a Fork Truck seminar. He was driving. I believe it took us a hour or so to get where ever it was. Again, as it was those many years ago, we were alone. He said why are you leaving. I told him OUR reasons and he listened. He still wore those trademark wire rimmed glasses! We discussed OUR reasons and he said he understood and wished US well and good luck!

     "IN THE JUNGLE, THE QUIET JUNGLE, THE LION SLEEPS TONIGHT......."

     Summer of 2009. The last time I saw him. I was back to the factory for a visit. I had made it to Body Prep and was talking to another old, old friend. Bob Baer. We were standing in the middle of the floor, where you could see the entrance to the lab, but 30 or so feet from the scales. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Tom coming from the smoke room. He saw us, and just like him , he stopped and made a gesture. It was a funny obscene gesture. All three of us laughed. And of course Bob shouted out an expletive and Tom and his little wire rimmed glasses waved and walked off!

     "IN THE JUNGLE, THE QUIET JUNGLE, THE LION SLEEPS TONIGHT,   OOOOHHHHH  A WINGELET, A WINGELET, A WINGELET "

     THE LION ROARS AND SLIPS QUIETLY INTO THE NIGHT!

    A Tribute  :      Tom Blair:  Feburary 11, 2012  American-Olean -Dal Tile

2 comments:

We welcome your comments