Tuesday, May 15, 2012

BLOG DAY # 80. Blast from the past- ELDERD PA. Part 6.

      Now for the final blast from the past. Traveling back home the past weekend-We made our way in and around Eldred Pa. The little town in NW Penna.  that I grew up in.  Driving up and down the streets, visiting the cemetary up Barden Brook where most of my family is burried. Seeing the changes and noting who lived where when I was young and running the streets on my bike.

     Visiting my mother in Bradford- spending quality time inside and outside with her. Almost 97 and as sweet as ever. This will go down as the the best visit that we have had.

     So today- I dedicate the last installment to the little town I grew up in. I hope you see the quality of life that I knew & get the sense of small town USA!

   MAIN STREET

Most if not all of these store fronts still exist. Notice the street- BRICKS! My first appartment after I was married was just by the second telephone pole. The building has something written on it , when I lived there- the Western Auto was down stairs, and the post office next door. That would be in 1967 to 1972. We moved out 2 or 3 months before the '72 flood!



     Here is the old gas station at the Kendall Bridge- just outside of town heading North to New York State 6 miles away. The is still there- although the canopy is gone and so are the tanks- it now is a resturant. An addition built on to the right. Another gas station now exists father to the right.


  MAIN STREET

     Here is a more modern view looking opposite direction South. Note the telephone poles are gone-as are the bricks- I assume being paved over. Little street lamps, now coming back- at least were I live now in Northern Va. I believe the buildings on the left are all still there. Where the man is crossing- is Edson street.




 THE FIRE HALL- SITUATED KITTY CORNER FROM OUR APPARTMENT TO THE NORTH OF US. I REMEMBER EACH OF THESE TRUCKS & AMBULANCE.  THE ONE IN THE MIDDLE WAS THE OLDEST.  THIS BUILDING IS STILL THERE ALTHOUGH THE FIREHALL HAS MOVED.




THE ELDRED CENTENNIAL- 1980- It was a grand old time. The whole week was full- good times- lots of beer- home made floats- everyone growing beards.

 A sign of the past.





ELDRED HAD MANY FLOODS-UNTIL THE DIKE SYSTEM WAS PUT IN AFTER '72 FLOOD.



THE FIREHALL BEFORE IT BECAME THE FIREHALL- IN 1923!




Here is the orginal location before 1923- they say what goes around - comes around- the fire department ended up back in this general area- making it coming back to where it started!

As I post the last picture for now- I hope this has given you some insight into my little town tucked away in the mountains of Northwestern Pa. Just South of the border with New York State. It is a quiet little town- not much in bussiness left-but it has been there for a couple hundred years and I was but a small part of it for 32 years.


 

Home- where the stars are bright-the air is still-and you hear the peepers.
Everyone knows everyone- and you get along. ELDRED PA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments